EGO claims its Z6 zero turn ‘drives like a car’.
That’s a big call, but Landscape Contractor Magazine has to say, it’s a fair call. The Z6 not only drives nicely, it’s super comfortable and a pleasure to use.
The big feature everyone will pick with the Z6 is the steering wheel.
For those used to a lap/bar setup it may not seem much if an innovation, but we found it to be a big factor in our enjoyment of the mower. The wheel itself has a wealth of information available on an easy-to read LCD interface. There’s three driving modes – Control, Standard, and Sport – which, predictably, vary the sensitivity and performance of the Z6, and it makes it easy to quickly tidy up any large areas like parks and sporting fields which are kept in good nick and just need a quick once-over, through to tackling heavy-going grass or manoeuvring around garden beds or obstacles.
The 107cm (42”) battery zero-turn lawn mower features four independent brushless mowers powered by four 12.0Ah 56V ARC Lithium™ batteries – enough juice to comfortably cut up to two-and-a-half acres* of lawn. Better yet, the EGO Z6 can hold up to six batteries for an extra boost equivalent to a 22-horsepower engine. EGO calls it Peak Power™ performance, and of course there’s hardly any noise and there are no omissions. The Z6 is fully expandable to be set up to cut three, four, five, or as many acres as needed. With the power status indicator up top, there’ll be no need to stop what you’re doing to check your EGO Z6’s battery life, and an adjustable hydraulic-suspension seat offers excellent adjustability and a very high level of operator comfort.
Premium features like LED lights and a USB charging port come standard on the Z6 and give the machine a very high-quality, premium feel.
In the driver’s seat
When the time came to drive the Z6, a couple of things hit us straight away.
The first was the seat. It’s a beauty. There’s plenty of adjustment so just about anyone, no matter what their height or position preference, should be able to get comfortable for a good day’s work. Even the seat cover – there was some discussion whether the top was leather or something else, we couldn’t be sure – but it felt good and contributed to the high comfort level. The suspension set up on the seat was good as well.
The big thing that worries everyone with the thought of going electric is will the gear have enough power? We felt the EGO Z6 lost nothing in sheer grunt to its petrol-powered competition. It tackled some heavy, long unmaintained sections with no problem at all, and in transport mode this won everyone’s admiration as it smoothly, but surprisingly quickly zoomed along from job to job, quiet, agile and of course, emissions-free.
In fact, the test pilot seemed to be struggling to conceal a foolish grin and was clearly enjoying himself as he tackled
the various test sections we had ready for the EGO Z6, and he didn’t seem all that keen to hand over the Z6 and get
back to work.
Definitely a winner
There’s no doubt in our minds the EGO Z6 is a pro standard, environmentally friendly, hard-working and capable zero turn. The battery system is well sorted – we particularly liked the charging system which allowed charging all the batteries without removing them – we thought the steering wheel was brilliant for both precision and ergonomics, and, best of all, it was very clear that, quiet as it may be, the Z6 has the power to get big jobs done.
We’re definitely fans.
Find out more about the EGO range at https://egopowerplus.com.au.
• Industry-leading E-STEER™ technology provides ultimate control with the added precision of a steering wheel
• Peak Power™ technology combines power of up to six EGO 56V ARC Lithium™ batteries to deliver the power of petrol equivalent to a 22-horsepower engine
• Cuts up to 2.5 acres* on a single charge with the four included 56V 12.0Ah ARC Lithium™ batteries (Individual outcomes may vary depending upon application)
• Fully expandable—add more batteries to cut three, four, five, or as many acres as needed
• 5kph-11kph speed. Up to 13 kph in travel mode
• Customise the ride with user interface for ultimate control
• Three driving modes: Control, Standard, Sport
• Four independent brushless motors
• Ultimate comfort with adjustable seat suspension
• 107cm (42”) cutting deck with zero turn radius
• 10 position cutting height adjustments: 25mm – 100mm
• 3-in-1 function: mulching, bagging, side-discharge (Bagging Kit sold separately)
• Stay connected with USB charging port and phone holder
• 32 LED lights front, side, and rear
• IPX4 weather-resistant construction
• A rethought ZTR design
• Industry’s fastest charger! 2.5- hour charge time with included Z6 charger and 4 x 12.0 Ah ARC Lithium™ batteries
• Five-year tool warranty, three-year battery and charger domestic warranty